Facebook Discussion Group

Join us on Facebook! The My Little Expert - Asperger's Discussion Group is filled with Aspies, moms, dads, teachers, aunties, uncles, you name it, who are all willing to be that support we all need when times get rough, or to celebrate when our Aspies reach that milestone!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Welcome to 'My Little Expert - Life with an Asperger's Child' blog!

I always hate writing the very first blog post, because I'm never sure how to begin. Do I give a complete history up until this very moment in time? Do I write a cheesy little welcome that encourages everyone to "follow me as I talk about what it's like to parent a kid with Asperger's Syndrome"?

How about I start with just a basic introduction instead? My name is Heather. I'm 31 years old, and I live in a small town in North Dakota. I'm a newspaper journalist and a freelance writer online. I've been divorced for two years (I think!)and I have two children: Sam, who is almost eight, and Kaydee, five.

To protect their identities, their names have been changed. (On a side note, no I did not realize that by changing my son's name to his initials, I would inadvertently "name" my son Sam Adams!)

Sam was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in April 2009. His sister Kaydee is a "neurotypical", which means she doesn't show any signs of autism. Asperger's Syndrome is an autism-spectrum disorder which affects the person's social skills. This is such a basic explanation, but I'll get into more detail in further posts.

So... with all that said, I hope you choose to follow me as I discuss what it's like to parent a child with Asperger's Syndrome! (Sorry, I had to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment